Kentucky Housing Authority

What is Public Housing?

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. There are approximately 1 million households living in public housing units, managed by some Public Housing Authorities(PHA)

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides financial help to local housing agencies that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford.

Who is Eligible?

Kentucky Housing Authority is responsible for ensuring that every individual and family admitted to the program meets all program eligibility requirements. To be eligible for the program the applicant family must:

Kentucky housing development authority determines your Applicant eligibility based on:

  • 1) Annual gross income
  • 2) Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and
  • 3) U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status

If you are eligible, the Kentucky Housing Authority will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. Housing Authority will only provide admission to any applicant with good good tenent history to maintain peace and quite experience for other residents.

Kentucky Housing Authority Application Process

Visit your local PHA to fill out Public Housing Application. The application must be written, Agency can help you with application. You will need the following information to determine eligibility:

  • 1) Your current address and phone number
  • 2) Your current and past landlords information about your family's suitability as a tenant
  • 3) An estimated family income for the next twelve months
  • 4) Source of your income
  • 5) Your current and past employers information to verify your income and deductions
  • 6) Banks account statements
  • 7) Name and relationship of every who would be living in the unit
  • 8) Family characteristics (e.g. veteran)
  • 9) Family circumstances (e.g. living in substandard housing) to qualify for tenant selection
  • 10) Provide social security number information for household members as required

The PHA also may visit you in your home to interview you and your family members to see how you manage the upkeep of your current home.

Consent to the Kentucky housing development authority’s collection and use of family information as provided for the Housing Authority-provided consent forms

Kentucky Housing Authority Income Limit

To be eligible for Kentucky Public Housing Authority your household must meet net and gross income limits based on a household's size. Income limits may vary by state.

Persons in Family/Household Gross Monthly Income Net Monthly Income
1 $1,383 $1,064
2 $1,868 $1,437
3 $2,353 $1,810
4 $2,839 $2,184
5 $3,324 $2,557
6 $3,809 $2,930
7 $4,295 $3,304
8 $4,780 $3,677

Steps to find Public Housing

  • 1) Search for Section 8 apartments or houses that fit in your housing need.
  • 2) Apply to your community choices by going to Kentucky housing authority application Portal
  • 3) Once your application is near the top (or if the property does not have a wait list), the property staff will send a letter requesting all adult household members to come in for a preliminary interview.
  • 4) The property will do a rental and background check.
  • 5) Verify the information provided regarding your income and assets.
  • 6) For properties that offer “Self-Sufficiency” programs, you will be asked to complete additional screening which may include an assessment.
  • 7) The staff will inform you about your estimated rent and security deposit amount if you are approved.
  • 8) When a unit becomes available, you will receive an email or a phone call.
  • 9) Submit a deposit.

Please contact your manager as soon as possible when your income or family size changes. It may affect your subsidy amount you recieve, Your subsidy amount is based on your income or family size.

Kentucky Public Authority goal is to provide you with an affordable and attractive place to live. To help them meet these goals, please:

  • Pay your full monthly rent on time
  • Dont let you monthly maintenance charges and other fees accumulate. Pay them regularly
  • Call PHA when repairs are needed
  • Please keep your home clean and in good condition
  • Keep your backyard, porch and patio clean
  • Respect your neighbors privacy and maintain peace and quiet

Kentucky Housing Authority Waiting list

Kentucky Housing Authority is a public agency that provides subsidized housing to low-income individuals and families. The Authority administers distinct housing programs. It can only accept applications for waiting lists that we have advertised as open. It shall advertise in local newspapers and post notices on its website when housing authority waitlist open and close.

Due to a high volume of applications many agency may take up to 6 months to sent confirmation letters in the mail. It may take six to nine month to get Kentucky housing authority apartments. You will be added to Housing Authority waiting list.

Housing Authority Apartments

Households who qualify for subsidy programs may also qualify for Section 8 Houses, which pay rental assistance payments directly to private landlords on behalf of low-income tenants.

Eligibility for the Housing Authority Apartments program is similar to the voucher programs, but waiting list and application policies will vary depending on the landlord.

Lease Agreement

Kentucky Housing Authority lease agreement is a legally binding contract that you will have to sign. It has a your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. Please keep it with your other important papers.

If you have questions about your lease or need other general information, please call your manager.

Rent Information

You will receive a housing authority rent statement by the first of each month. Housing authority rent is due the first of the month. It is delinquent if it is not paid by the 7th of the month. This can affect your ability to get future assistance so make sure to pay them on time.

Pay Your Rent

There are four easy ways to pay your Kentucky housing authority rent:

1. Take a personal check, money order or cashier’s check to the main office. Personal checks are accepted from tenants who have not had a check returned NSF and who do not owe more than one month’s rent.

2. Pay charges at the main office with a major debit or credit card. They cannot take card payments over the phone. The card must be presented in person.

3. Pay your housing authority rent at one of the many authorized banks. If you have not been able to pay your rent, please contact your bank to make arrangements to pay them. They will not accept partial payments. The Main Office has a list of banks.

4. Pay rent online via housing authority portal.

Rent Due Date

Your rent payment is due on the first of each month. It is delinquent after the 7th of the month. If you have any questions about your rent, please ask your manager or Kentucky housing authority phone number or stop by the office

Home Cleaning Guideline

Please keep your home in good condition and notify us when repairs are needed. The following are some additional items to keep in mind:

1. Dont create mess with your trash for you and your neighbor. Dispose of trash properly.

2. Use a trash can with a tight-fitting lid or heavy trash bags that are tightly closed.

3. You will be charged a cleanup fee if trash is not disposed properly.

4. If there is any damage to your house, You are responsible for paying for fix.

5. Dont modify anything in your apartment, Do not decorate with wallpaper, contact paper, tile, or similar items. You will be charged to have these items removed.

FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions)

1. How to report landlord to housing authority?

Your landlords may be fined and/or debarred from doing business with the federal government as a result of failing to provide safe and decent housing. Tenants have been forced to live in terrible housing, and neighborhoods have suffered from housing eyesores.

To report a bad landlord to the Multifamily Housing Complaint Line call toll-free at 800-MULTI-70 (800-685-8470) / TTY (800) 432-2209

2. What does the housing authority do?

A housing authority or ministry of housing is generally a governmental body that governs aspects of housing or (called in general "shelter" or "living spaces"), often providing low rent or free apartments to qualified residents.