Instacart take food stamps(EBT), SNAP benefits in a limited number of states at various retailers. Customers can add their EBT information to their Instacart accounts and use it when checking out.
You cannot use your EBT card on Instacart to pay for delivery or other fees, nor can it be applied to tips. Several retailers, such as Wal-Mart and Amazon, allow online EBT purchases.
However, Aldi is currently the only store available for EBT purchases through Instacart. Keep reading to find out how you can add an EBT card to your Instacart.
Food Stamp Benefits
EBT cards are a form of government assistance that has been around since the early 2000s. They’ve had many different names, and they were a part of the supplemental nutrition assistance program.
The federal government provides food benefits through these.
1. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP Benefits
SNAP is just the upgraded version of food stamps. Instead of physically carrying them around, people can now have their food stamps accepted using an EBT card.
2. Temporary Assistance For Needy Families/TANF Benefits
TANF is another use of EBT cards. The federal government allows flexible use of an EBT card for needy families so they can purchase essential household items in addition to food.
Plus, with TANF, you could withdraw money from an ATM, like you usually would, with visa cards or debit cards. Now you can use this cash to make additional purchases similar to Instacart cash cards.
Shopping at Instacart with EBT
If you haven’t shopped at Instacart yet, you probably don’t own its membership card. If you’re among the non-members, you won’t be able to enter the Instacart warehouses.
You’ll have to purchase a Instacart membership first. Making purchases in person is only possible for Instacart members.
You can shop at Instacart, but only if you’re with a member or you have someone else’s membership card.
What States Does Instacart Take EBT?
Instacart accepts Food stamp EBT payments in these 37 states; There are 14 states where you can't' use your food stamp at Instacart
- New Mexico
How do you use EBT at Instacart?
Follow these steps to use your EBT card to pay at Instacart!
1. Open your Instacart app or your website.
2. Click on the three lines located in the upper left corner of your Instacart app. For the website, click the downward-facing arrow beside "Hi, [your name]" and click "Your Account" in the dropdown.
3. On the app, tap "Your account settings."
4. On your account page, scroll down and click on the option that reads "Payment methods."
5. Tap or click "Add" next to "EBT SNAP card."
6. Enter your name and EBT card number.
7. Tap or click "Save."
It is always essential to keep your receipt during your shopping, and it will help prevent mischarges and show you the latest balance on your EBT card.
Which Grocery Stores on Instacart Accept EBT?
Though there are lists of grocery stores in your area on Instacart, you'll have to check if they can take EBT in your state. This is the list of grocers who currently accept EBT SNAP:
- Brookshire’s Food & Pharmacy, Spring Market
- Earth Fare
- Fairplay Foods
- Food Bazaar
- Food Lion
- GIANT Food Stores
- Harps Food Store
- Homeland, United Supermarkets, CashSaver, Food-World
- Little Giant Farmers Market
- Niemann Foods (County Market)
- PAQ, Inc. (Food 4 Less, Rancho San Miguel Markets)
- Piggly Wiggly
- Price Chopper Supermarkets (Price Chopper, Market 32, Market Bistro)
- Price Rite
- Save Mart, FoodMaxx, and Lucky Supermarkets
- Schnucks and EatWell
- Stop & Shop
- Strack & Van Til, Van Til’s Supermarket, Town and Country
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Warehouse Market
- Woodman’s Market
Most of these stores are limited in particular states to allow customers to use EBT SNAP on purchases. The broadest coverage grocery stores are Aldi, Publix, and Food Lion. Still, even these options don't cover every state or location within an eligible state.
Items you can buy with food stamps at Instacart?
EBT cards typically cover the cost of essential groceries that have nutritious value. Here is a list of EBT eligible items available on EBT food packages at Instacart:
- Breakfast cereal
- Meats and poultry
- Fruit and vegetables
- Pasta, rice, and tortillas
- Canned legumes and fish
- Whole wheat bread and other whole grains
- Juice (shelf-stable, non-carbonated)
- Tofu and soy products
- Peanut butter
Things you can't buy EBT at Instacart
Some restrictions are placed on the items you can buy using your EBT card. Some of the products that are prohibited include:
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco
- Vitamins, medicines, and supplements.
- Live animals (except shellfish, fish and animals).
- Foods that are hot when sold.
- Cleaning supplies
- Paper products
- Pet foods
- Hygiene items
Using EBT Card for Unapproved Food Items
If you’ve somehow managed to make an unapproved food purchase, there are still consequences. The government won’t let you off the hook.
Here’s all that could happen if you find yourself in this situation.
- A 3-month ban for the first unapproved purchase
- A 1-year ban for the second unapproved purchase
- A 2-year ban for the third unapproved purchase
How Do I Buy Items From Both Lists?
If your purchase includes approved and non-approved EBT items it’s totally doable but you need to be organized.
I suggest separating items in your cart and making 2 separate purchases.
Is the Return Policy Different for EBT Purchases?
No, By Law store will have to honor same return policy that exists on regular purchases to all EBT purchases. This policy even extends to food and grocery items.
So if you’re not completely satisfied with an item, you can bring it back to Costco at ANY time for a full refund or exchange.
1. How do I sign up to use my EBT SNAP benefits on InstaCart?
To use your EBT card, you must add it as a payment method within your account settings. According to government regulations, you must link a separate credit or debit card to your Instacart account to cover fees, bottle deposits, taxes, delivery tips, and other non-EBT SNAP-eligible items.
2. Can I use EBT SNAP for grocery delivery or pick-up orders on InstaCart?
Yes, EBT SNAP-eligible Instacart customers in the U.S. can pay for online grocery orders containing eligible items with a valid EBT card, in whole or in part, from participating stores in select states.
Instacart has made grocery shopping a lot easier and more convenient for EBT SNAP benefit recipients.
While not every state in the U.S. allows recipients to make EBT purchases online, 37 states (including the District of Columbia) do! Take advantage of this information and get the groceries you need.